Monday, January 11, 2010

11-17-55

Today is my kind of day ('course, I know there are many days in any season about which I'm likely to say that) but today is one of the best. The sun is out for the first time in weeks - there is a high wind up here on our hill - blowing the leaves up and around in spirals, whistling and rattling around our TV aerial, and rushing over house & tree tops with the sound of an express train. Yesterday might have been early spring for all the warmth of it except for the tight brown winter buds where the tender pale green ones would be - but today is wintery - cold-temperature dropped almost 50 degrees - and yesterday's boisterous storm clouds have given way to today's blue sky and scattered sky remnants of their rushing tempestuous predecessors.

Today reminds me of a day long ago in another November when I went hunting with a then-dear friend and killed deliberately for the first, last & only time of my life. It might hve been just as cold as this day but it was sunny, windy, exhilerating and we walked so far and with such vigor and enthusiasm that we removed our jackets when we rested high on a haystack to soak up some solar energy and warmth. That was one of the sweet days that exist as game along the string of my life. And today was another of lesser importance - during my walk with the dog I was filled with joy and large gratitude for having available to me such a pleasant place to walk as the road and fields behind us - like a portion of countryside - a haven from streets & traffic & people complete with fences, woods, trees, small & great, a hill-side of grape-vines, and fallen apples, soft to step on, a place where peace & comfort can unfailingly be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment