Thursday, September 24, 2009

May 29, 1970

I have just come up from the mesmeric influence of the Lake Superior shore. The meeting of water and shoreline did as it has always done - it catches me, holds me, binds me - I inevitably fall under its hypnotic influence as some of mankind has done since men's time began. I see infinity in the polygonal rocky pools - look into them & you can see back to when this world began. And then back to the water's surge which is so attracting, I think, because it never tires, it never stops. Most everything in our lives is so fleeting & temporary that something so apparently eternal as the forward & backward movements of the water has an irresistable answer for our hunger for permanency.

And outside the cabin the long-needled pine drew my smile as I saw each separate needle tipped with a crystalline drop of rainwater.

No comments:

Post a Comment