Sunday, October 25, 2009

June 9, 1972 - Marigolds Buttercups & Columbines

Chalet and I just back from a long walk and for the 1st time today I feel "turned on". Earlier, so held back and uncertain I felt nothing. Now my cheeks are cool from the wind and the sun is lowering. The bluebells are still out - of a gorgeous blue, pink at their eginning - but the showy brilliant yellow flowers that were so bounteous along all the water courses last time are gone. I could not identify them but today we saw, as well, buttercups, red and yellow columines and so many other lovely & interesing growing things. I wish I could identify. The cool air moved them all so they spoke to me gently. I press herewith some poor and broken samples. I almost picked more but knew better - that they don't belong pressed in a book - they have a right to live out their lives where they originated just as the Indians did tho never had a chance to - (just finishing "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee", a title alone to wring your heart and tears from out your eyes.) Also here is a small section of what I call "horse's tail" - as I know it, a member of a family that comes in various sizes and is a remnant of the Pleistocene era (or some such) when it grew in a huge version. I have seen it along my way for years & somehow remember one particular time when I pulled the sections of a larger form apart and marveled at seeing frozen water crystals inside the hollow sections. Why do I remember that? I know.


The water did not sparkle to me today - not enough movement, I guess. It's quite cold, of course, as the last of the ice in Duluth Harbor disappeared only last Wed or Thurs. when the temp. reached 88*. Last night, however, a record was broken when it went down to 27*! Along the rocks today as I walked I could see them steam as an occasional splash of icy water sloshed surfaces warmed by an unhampered sun. I sat out on the rock most of the day, reading, as much out of the wind as I could comfortably arrange, as that my right cheek was warm and my left one was cool where the breeze instead of the sun struck it. I stretched out twice to nap and my face is quite red as a result.

62*
7:00 p.m.

Later

I was out there again, just now and the water is all shiny light blue, plashing up the rocks and pouring back upon itself like molten metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive