Thursday, October 1, 2009

March 28, 1971 - Pull it Out Of Your Past

Pull it out of your past! Pick it out of the recesses of your memory!

Day follows day & nights grow cold
And all the while this curious cat
sits crouching on his Chinese mat
With eyes of satin, rimmed with gold
I sent my soul into the invisible
Some [undecipherable] of that after-life to spell
And by & by my soul returned to me & said
I, myself, am heaven & hell

From Days of Hurd Hatfield, Picture of Doris Grey, prelude by Chopin & Omar Khayaam

(Remembered after many years.)

Note: Though Hatfield's first film was Dragon Seed (1944), in which he and his co-stars (Katharine Hepburn, Akim Tamiroff, Aline McMahon, Turhan Bey) portrayed Chinese peasants, it was his second film, The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945), that made him a star.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive